background

4/27/08

A note from Mommy...





So, this is Melanie's first update!! A lot has happened in the last month! Janey has recovered really well from her surgery, and she is now up to 5 pounds, 4 ounces! She finally looks like a newborn, at 17 1/2 inches long, too!


We have been back from Primary's for almost 5 weeks now, and Janey has made tons of progress. She is up to 1.5 oz per feeding (every 3 hours), and she's even doing pretty well at breastfeeding! I have to be at the hospital a lot lately, so that I can feed Janey--scheduling is getting more and more difficult! She's also taking some bottles now as well, which means that Daddy gets to feed her sometimes, too! He absolutely loves it! It's getting much harder for us to have to leave her each time we have to go home!

Taylor and Callie are handling the situation amazingly well. They are, of course, getting extremely tired of chaos as a way of life, and they are sick of Mommy and Daddy having to leave them so much to go see their sister. Needless to say, there has been a lot more stress and contention in our household as of late! But, they love going to visit Janey every Sunday, and getting to hold her and love on her. They are cute doting siblings! They get so excited, and they sing to her and hold her hand, and give her kisses on her head. They love their baby sister! She's just so stinkin cute!

We've been able to spend a lot more time with Steve and Jessika (Ryan's brother and his wife), and that has been a lot of fun for us! The kids absolutely adore them! They live in St. George and have extended never-ending amounts of help and support, as well as their home, their culinary skills, and their babysitting expertise! They are wonderful!


The doctors were ready last week to send Janey back up to Primary's for the shunt surgery, because she just has not made much progress with her hydrocephalus (head problems). I was extremely disappointed, but we figured this is something that needs to be done. However, I could not get rid of the anxiety I felt about her going up. I kept thinking: maybe if we keep her here and keep working with her, it'll correct itself... but I've had some minor postpartum depression, and didn't know if that was the cause of the anxiety. What mother wants to send her baby off to get more brain surgery (with more throughout her life)? Anyway, I finally went to the temple last Tuesday, and had a really neat experience! After much pondering and praying to my Heavenly Father, He helped me come to a conclusion. First of all, He knows me and my situation, and is concerned about my family! He loves us very much!! Secondly, now is not the time for surgery. I feel strongly that if we make it a matter of prayer and exercise faith, that Janey's head could correct without surgery! What a wonderful opportunity for us to see God's love and power in action! If we put our trust in Him, and hand over our problems, he can comfort and guide us, and even make miracles happen!

Ryan reminded me also that when he gave Janey a blessing last week, he was prompted not to mention surgery-it confused him then, but makes sense now! Neat experiences all around, huh!?!

I want you all to know that I have a very strong testimony that my Heavenly Father is there, involved in my life, and he loves me very much! I have seen it over and over and over these past few months-what a blessing of love to me! I've come to realize that if I have faith in Him, and that He is in control, I don't need to worry about what is going to happen, because it will all work out! And He'll keep reminding me of that, as many times as I need it! I'm so grateful for my Savior's atonement-His love for me! Jesus Christ has made it possible for me and my family to be able to get through this very trying experience, and with much more gained from it than we could ever have imagined! I am extremely aware of Their love for my sweet baby girl, and what a special little girl she is! I really do stand all amazed at the tremendous love that is poured out upon me from above!


Now, back to the story...
I talked to Janey's doctor, and he agreed to give us two weeks to see if we can help Janey make some more progress, and then they'll re-evaluate her.



So, we have 2 challenges for all willing to accept them: 1- Make the extra effort to find proof of God's love for you...it ends up being a lot easier than we expect! And it makes you feel so good! 2- Please fast and pray for Janey this next Sunday that her head will be able to correct. We need your faith! And please pass on the invitation to fast to anyone you'd like-the more the merrier, and the more faith working in Janey's behalf!

Thank you for all of your love, faith, support, prayers and monetary donations!! We love you, and hope you have a very happy day!






11 comments:

Dyer Family said...

I'm so happy to hear that she is doing so well. Your faith is a wonderful example to me and I admire the strength you guys have had:) You will be in our thoughts and prayers this week and always!

The Nye's said...

WOW! You guys are amazing! Rest assured that Janey and your whole family will be in our prayers!! I wish I knew when you were up at primary childrens before because we live in Salt Lake and I would love to help in any way I can. If you are ever up here know that we are here and your whole family is always welcome at our house! Please let me know anything we can do to help. And thank you for the update. I have been checking your blog tons because I've been dying for updates on your little angel!

Frehner Family said...

Melanie..hey girl! We're so on board! I hope you are keeping good journal entries on this rollercoaster you're living. She will love to read it some day!

aptekmies said...

It was so good to see your update and to know that little Janey is doing good. You guys are such strong examples to us and you have such faith. We will be praying for your family.

The Downs Family said...

Thanks for the update- we'll do our part to help!

Johana said...

Hey Mel I need to come see you. I have a gift for Janey and it sounds like I need to come by soon before she gets any bigger. I'm happy to hear about her growth. I'll be calling ya soon!

Robyn said...

Thanks so much for posting the updates. Glad to know she continues. I sure wish I could fast with you this Sunday, but you'll definitely be in our prayers!

tiff said...

Ryan,
this is your cousin, Tiff (Sandra's daughter). Your mom sent me your blog address--I'm so happy Janey continues to progress! Your family has been in our prayers (and the Mt. Timpanogas Temple roll) since we heard about her birth. You're still in our prayers, and we'll be fasting with everybody else on Sunday.
Love you!

Princess Hairstyles said...

Hi Melanie, it's Kori Peterson. I saw your blog on someone's links. I'm glad to see your baby is doing so well. We've been thinking about you guys and pray for you all the time. PLEASE call me if you ever need a babysitter. I would love it!!!

Bear of Very Little Brain said...

Hi Melanie, it's Natalie, Dan McKasson's mom - we fasted for Janey, realizing there's so much power in fasting added to sincere prayer. Your faith is astounding, yours and Ryan's, and it was awesome to see Taylor and Callie's pics on this post as they visited Janey. I'm so glad Amy gave a link to this blog in an e-mail to us so I could read myself your inspiring thoughts. I'm positive you're stonger, and Ryan too, and Janey is too - we keep her in our prayers constantly, knowing as you do the wonderful love Father has for her and for each of you and for all of us. We'll stick with you! Keep being amazing and trusting things will work out. Glad you're closer to the baby as she grows, and grows in love and connection to you each! Lots of love, Natalie

Winn Family said...

MELANIE! I haven't checked my hotmail account for months and months and did today--saw your blog address--and me and jess have just read the entire thing! Both our hearts are out to your family. I am so sorry, I had no idea, how are you emotionally and how is Janey and what is going on now? We just love you guys are are so sorry we've been such slacker friends. But just know that we'll be praying for you and your family! You're amazing and I love your face off! write me back when you get a second (I realize your life is a little insane right now) it's cariwinn@gmail.com. Love you!